Saturday, July 19, 2014

#9 REASON (EXCUSE): I HAVE TO CONCENTRATE TOO HARD TO DO ZUMBA!

FOLK DANCERS AT EL BRUJO FESTIVAL

DON'T CONCENTRATE TOO HARD!

RELAX, SMILE, AND LET IT FLOW...

     It's true, when first learning Zumba, it seemed like I had to concentrate too hard. The first few times I went to Zumba class, it was a little frustrating trying to imitate the Latin dance moves. The Mexican National people make it look so easy when they dance the Salsa, the Cumbia, Mexican Folk dances, and other Mexican dances. Many of the moves from these dances are incorporated into Zumba.
     Traditional Mexican Folk Dances are still performed today. The Folk Dancers shown here were performing at the El Brujo Festival in Catemaco, Veracruz in March. I realized as I watched these women swish their beautiful traditional skirts, twirl, and bob that many of their dance moves were the same ones I was trying to imitate in Zumba class. These Mexican women were smiling, beaming really, and very relaxed as they danced. They were just letting the music flow through them and letting their bodies flow to the music. They were having fun!

RELAXED, SMILING, LETTING IT FLOW!
     I learned from watching these traditional Mexican Folk Dancers that I don't need to concentrate so hard. I need to imitate their relaxed form, their smiles, their flowing movements, and the sense of enjoyment.  Now, when a particular Zumba routine incorporates some of the moves and steps from these Mexican Folk Dances, I imagine that I am wearing one of the beautiful Mexican dresses as I gracefully twirl and move my arms as if swishing my skirt. I feel my smile, I feel more relaxed, and I feel enjoyment.
   For more information on Zumba in Catemaco, see my blog post "Zumba with Carmen Cardena in Catemaco" dated 4/6/14 in this blog.
     For more information on Catemaco, Veracruz, Mexico, see my blog article dated 4/10/14 in HealthyLivingandTravelinginMexico.blogspot.com  
                                                                COPYRIGHT ©2014 by Terry L Turrell
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, scanning, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission.