Friday, January 24, 2014

Free Zumba in Bucerias, Nayarit, Mexico

 ACTIVATE BUCERIAS!

     The Free Zumba class in Bucerias is a strenuous workout! I attended on Monday last week, and that day it was more of an Aerobics style class. I was told that each day of the week, the style is different and some classes have more Zumba than others. I was a little embarrassed that I was sweating so badly and having a tough time keeping up with the other people in class. But, the children in class were watching me closely, though discreetly, and I thought that I needed to set a good example for them, so I powered through. Whew!
     I loved watching the women and children gather during the half hour before class started. Many wore their "Activate Bucerias" or "Zumba" t-shirts, indicating that they belonged to this "Zumba club". They seemed to be enjoying their social time, chatting together before the music started. The schoolgirls arrived in their school uniforms and dashed into the restroom to change into their Zumba clothing. Then the Instructor arrived and we all took our places on the floor, elbow-to-elbow, and jumped right into our workout! 
       "Activate Bucerias" is a Free Zumba and exercise class, part of the "Activate Bahia" program funded by the City of the Bay of Banderas. You can read more about this great program in my "Free Zumba in San Pancho" blog post. These free exercise classes promote physical fitness in the community, beginning with the children. What a wonderful program!
     This sign, posted on the wall, gives all information about places and times of free classes in Bucerias, as well as contact information. Remember to bring a large towel for the stretching exercises on the floor, bottled water, and a small sweat towel. 
READY FOR ZUMBA!
     The "Activate Bucerias" classes are held inside the Salon Ejidal, the bright yellow building on the Plaza across from the church. The concrete dance floor is smooth and good for exercising, but it is pretty warm inside at 5:00PM and I was kicking myself for forgetting my sweat towel. When signing the class registration form, 5 Pesos (40 cents U.S.) were collected from each person for one week of classes to help with expenses. The price of a Zumba class doesn't get any better than that!

      COPYRIGHT ©2014 by Terry L Turrell
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, scanning, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission.